- Switched from buying organic milk at the grocery store to buying organic, local milk that's delivered in glass bottles.
- Moved our garbage out from under the kitchen sink to make room for a worm bin (more on that later).
- Stopped having a disposable cup of yogurt for breakfast every morning. I found some yogurt that comes in glass jars, since the plastic containers aren't recyclable. I've been using that for smoothies and to substitute for sour cream.
- Rode my bike to work 5 out of the last 14 days. It's not great, but it's a start! Four of those days I never got in the car at all.
- Opted out of junk mail (more on that later, too).
- Switched out the boys' plastic water bottles for stainless steel ones. I tried to do this years ago and they resisted, but this time the water bottles are smaller and have sport tops, and the change has been taken with grace.
- Took the food canisters that sit on my kitchen counter to Whole Foods and filled them directly with bulk foods, to avoid the plastic bag middle-man.
- Called my landlord about the leaky bathtub.
- Switched one of our lightbulbs to compact fluorescent. This was actually not entirely successful -- I think it deserves it's own post, too (see how I keep promising more info -- that's not really for you, it's to motivate my procrastinator virgo self to keep posting!)
Friday, May 2, 2008
This is what Dante calls me, based on the following little changes I've made in the past couple of weeks.