Friday, May 2, 2008

environmental geek

This is what Dante calls me, based on the following little changes I've made in the past couple of weeks.
  • Switched from buying organic milk at the grocery store to buying organic, local milk that's delivered in glass bottles.
  • Moved our garbage out from under the kitchen sink to make room for a worm bin (more on that later).
  • Stopped having a disposable cup of yogurt for breakfast every morning. I found some yogurt that comes in glass jars, since the plastic containers aren't recyclable. I've been using that for smoothies and to substitute for sour cream.
  • Rode my bike to work 5 out of the last 14 days. It's not great, but it's a start! Four of those days I never got in the car at all.
  • Opted out of junk mail (more on that later, too).
  • Switched out the boys' plastic water bottles for stainless steel ones. I tried to do this years ago and they resisted, but this time the water bottles are smaller and have sport tops, and the change has been taken with grace.
  • Took the food canisters that sit on my kitchen counter to Whole Foods and filled them directly with bulk foods, to avoid the plastic bag middle-man.
  • Called my landlord about the leaky bathtub.
  • Switched one of our lightbulbs to compact fluorescent. This was actually not entirely successful -- I think it deserves it's own post, too (see how I keep promising more info -- that's not really for you, it's to motivate my procrastinator virgo self to keep posting!)

2 comments:

Masasa said...

My friend who has been forewarning us about the economy is convinced that all these changes aren't just good for the environment, but in fact will mean the difference between survival and non-survival to many of us during the depression she anticipates is on its way:

http://becausethatiswhatmylifeislikerightnow.blogspot.com/2008/01/on-marketplace-beat.html

I've been getting my eggs from folks I know with chickens. Recently that's meant a darn bit of economic savings because some of their chickens got eaten by coyotes and they have only adolescent chickens now that produce smaller eggs. So we're getting charged $1.00 per dozen, and honestly the size difference is minimal.

Also, we'll soon start buying raw milk from a guy we know who owns a couple of cows. He doesn't live on a farm. He lives in a more rural, area, however, and has some room for his cows. Apparently the cows are so super sweet and he totally adores them. He lives near one of my colleagues at work, so we can get it delivered without any fuels being used specifically for us. When we are headed out that way anyway, our kids will love the fieldtrip to see the cows.

seppie said...

Yeah, I go back and forth between catastrophizing and being optimistic, but I figure that either way these changes are the right thing to do.